Saturday, October 27, 2007

10/27/07 Ghostmuster 5K

My 7th Ghostmuster 5K. Always on the same day as the kids school Halloween party so we always have to rush out ASAP. Quality race put on by Thurston County Parks and Recreation. Small crowd with many slower folks and a good chance for a ribbon. Cold but dry.

Mile 1 - Off like a shot and running at 6:50 pace. Good number of runners all around me. Some turn off to do the 10K route, many are still with me here.

Mile 1.5 - Familiar course. I know eactly where this is going and I am pumping along nicely. Shaping up to be a good run. Both Lindbergs are just behind me, another guy is right on my tail but will not pass me.

Mile 2 - Guy tries to make his move past me but I surge ahead. Such a short race, no need to hold anything back. I will try as hard as I can to not let anyone pass me. I break away from the sticky guy.

Mile 3 - Here is the finish, keep going strong, nobody behind me is going to catch me.

Mile 3.1 - Strong finish and good running for the entire race. Almost vomit. Lindberg brother approaches me and says that I ran great and smart, that really means a lot to me, it is a rare day that I can best him. Tammy is waiting at the finish, she seems concerned about me. Now we wait, but not long for Billy. He has run a good race too. Now things get even more memorable:

Jody should be along soon. Really any time now. Billy and I decide to jog back and see her near the end, we jog a half mile or so. Runners are getting slower. No sign of jody. Fast 10K guys are zooming past, still no sign of my woman. I start to worry a little. She must have gotten hurt and is walking. We jog back to the finish and wait more. Finally we hop in Bill's truck to drive the course in reverse, after checking with the race officials to see if they know anything. About 1.5 miles from the finish there she is chugging along. Took the 10K turn and ran all the way to the 3.1 mile turn around before realizing! She must have really been in the zone. She ran on in and rather enjoyed herself.

21:21
8th place of 88 runners
2nd in age group ribbon
****

No comments: