Tuesday, January 1, 2013

1/1/13 Resolution Run 5K

So happy to be back racing.  My left foot sure has taken its time getting better.  I could not do three marathons that I had been registered for.  I lost my streak of 100 mile months.  But I kept a pretty good attitude.  It was fun to volunteer at the Pigtails Marathon and the Crime Stoppers 5K in December.  I am gradually building back my mileage but am way out of shape.  Today I will enjoy the company of running with others and celebrating the new year.  My 11th New Years Day race.

Cold but dry in Steilacoom.  About 30 degrees with the fog clearing to sun.  I wear a jacket, hat, gloves and tights.  No hurry today, I might as well stay warm.  Fun to see old friends.  Half mile walk and jog to warm up.

Start - Way in the back.  Meet Maniac Nancy.  Start nice and easy and gradually build up a comfortable pace.

Mile 1 - 8:41 - Faster than I had planned.

Mile 2 - Going just a little faster, but it is not easy.  This pace is way slower than I should be able to run comfortably, but I really am out of shape.  I am huffing and puffing and working harder than I should be.  I can feel just a little bit of something in my foot.  Barb from Elma just ahead of me.

Mile 2.5 - Get just behind Barb and encourage her to run faster.  She is running steady and I am working hard to keep up.  Just on the edge of it being unpleasant.  She remains a step ahead of me all the way around the track and we finish together.  Five mile race winner blows past me.

Mile 3.1 - Mile 3.22 on the GPS.  Negative split time by a few seconds and I am happy about that.  This pace should have been easier, but hopefully today's workout is a step in the right direction.



27:17
78th place of 165
Race#284
5K#73
****

2 comments:

Ginger Johnson said...

Great to see you are running again. Here's to a healthy 2013!

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

I'm so glad to hear you're foot is getting better! It's frustrating to be out of shape, especially since it's been so long since you've had a major issue, but now your body is fully rested and once you get your fitness back you'll probably bust out a few new PR's!!