Saturday, October 28, 2017

10/28/17 Tenino Pumpkin Dash

I still want to call this the Ghostmuster.  In honor I wear my 2002 T-shirt.  Mike Henderson agrees that if a race changes name and RD, but is the same course on the same weekend, it is the same race.  So I can say that it is my tenth time here.

Cool and foggy on the way in, but the sun is now out in Tenino.  Despite a not great 1.5 mile warm up (just don't feel that smooth) I am optimistic that I can beat last years time and also my time from my last 5K three weeks ago.  Generally still feeling good and improving, though no decent long runs lately.

Start - Small group again.  This should be a bigger event, like it used to be.  But some fast guys and kids here so I know that I won't be near the top.  We start well with plenty of room to spread out and hit our paces.

Mile 0.3 - I am just behind the first place woman.  6:47 pace is way too fast and I ease back a little.  But keep the woman and another guy close enough that I can think about passing them.

Mile 1 - Through the quiet streets.  Same old course but I like it.  A few guys turn off for the 10K but quite a few ahead of me.  First woman still just ahead, though I am not gaining.  7:18 mile one is too fast but not much I can do about it at this point.

Mile 2.2 - No one has passed me, but I also have not caught anyone.  Woman is slipping away as I slow just a little.  Feeling good, just out of breath.  Glad I did not run yesterday, though I wonder if it would have made any difference.  Around the field, I do pass one guy, then the long straight shot.

Mile 2.9 - Almost to the turn.  The kids in costume are doing their fun run and don't quite get in the way.  Sprint hard to the end

Mile 3.1 Finish  - 3.14 on the GPS.  Happy with a solid effort and I did make my goals of beating last year's time and the Shuck and Run time.  Congratulate the woman, who admits that it is her first race ever.  Hope she is hooked now.  I have things to do, so I do not stay for the results or awards. Results posted online later in the day.  Next up, a couple of marathons.

23:18
9th place of 36
Race#428, 5K#113, Ghostmuster/Pumpkin Dash#10
*****

No comments: