Saturday, March 18, 2017

3/18/17 Resolution Run 20K

This was not on my schedule, but Jody is running with Nicky this morning and I would like at least 10 miles, to get over 40 for the week.  Easy to go up to Steilacoom for the 9AM start of this small race.  $30 DOR.  Sadly they are not doing baked potatoes this year, but there will be coffee, muffins and bagels indoors after the race.

Rain and more rain.  Going to be a wet one.  Warm enough that I don't need the rain jacket, but I will wear it anyway.  And I don't plan to run fast, just a good tempo and hopefully a negative split.  Look back over my old results and realize that I have never run a 20K before.  I have done the 20 miler here a couple of times so I know the course, but I would have thought that I had done the shorter version at some point.

No warm up, I can ease into the first miles.  Plus it is dumping rain, so I wait inside as long as possible.

Start - Right on time and smooth around the track.  Not much wind at all, but lots of puddles and rain.

Mile 1 - 8:54 - Faster than I expected.  Nice group of soggy runners trying to work around any deep puddles or street creeks, trying to keep our feet dry as long as possible.

Mile 3 - 8:51 average pace.  Ease back just a little.  Gentle uphills.  Feeling good and I like the pace.

Mile 6.25 - Turn around and glad to be heading back.  8:53 average pace.  Start moving faster and gradually passing some people.

Mile 9 - Rain is letting up.  I take the hood off and charge down the hills.  Pass a couple more.  Working harder, but the average pace is only dropping a little.  Not running with anyone, just working to catch people and move along.

Mile 10 - One guy who might be in my age group has been far ahead, but I have been gaining on him.  Put on a burst and do pass him.  But now my legs start to stiffen and it just gets harder to run.  Form is bad and I am worried that he will pass me back.  I should protect my body, relax and cruise in easy, but I have not been passed by anyone in the second half and I don't intend to let that happen now.

Mile 12.5 (20K) - Fairly difficult struggle to the end, but I do finish with a negative split at 8:49 pace overall.  Not as easy as I had hoped and I expected to be a little faster.  Very quiet at the finish line, I cheer a couple of people in, then dry off and get my results.

Hardly a fun racing event, but better than a long solo run.

1:49:31
14th of 34
Race#412
***

No comments: