Tuesday, September 15, 2015

9-12-15 Beat the Blerch Half Marathon





Jared gave me the running comic book by the Oatmeal guy a while back and then he sounded excited to run the Beat the Blerch race.  I was curious to check it out, so I signed us up.  Then Jody and Nickie joined the fun.  Just before race day Jared decided to drop to the 10K (beaten by the Blerch) so I am free to run my own pace, but fun to have the others there.  I can't remember what I paid.  A lot.  But it includes a shirt, medal and free digital downloads of photos.

I got our numbers on Thursday and with a 9:30AM start it was easy to pick up Jared on the way and get to the start in plenty of time.  Paid a little extra for premium parking.  Avoid the grilled cheese and bacon wrapped marshmallows before the start. 

Tolt Park near Carnation WA.  Its supposed to get hot later, not too bad at the start.

Start - So crowded.  Lots of costumes.  I hope I beat Gumby.  I am close to the front but not as close as I would like.  The race is on a trail that should be wide enough for 3-4 people, but there are lots of groups here.  Off we go......but wait......after a small wave goes out, we are stopped by a rope.  Instant corral and a very good idea.  Now a volunteer moves a rope right behind me, putting me at the very back of the second wave.  Chip timed of course.  Count down from 10 and off we go.






Mile 0.15 - All different speeds.  Tough  to get moving and I need patience.  I have a full slate of races coming up and no desire to go all out today.  Taking this as a training run, I would like to run about 8:30 pace which should be comfortable.  Still this is a little frustrating, but I pass a bunch of people as I run on the grass on the side of the trail.

Mile 0.5 - Much more room to run, but now we have lost our pavement and the trail is super rocky.  Small sharp loose rocks.  Hard to find a solid path.  Most runners are moving about trying to find good footing, as am I.

Mile 1 - Over the river on a large bridge, then back onto gravel, but better this time. Why had I assumed that the trail was paved?   SVT trail (Snoqualamie Valley Trail).  I have run farther south here at Mout Si 50K and the Tunnel races.  I wonder if we will overlap at all?  Nope, well maybe with Mt Si, that was so long ago.

Mile 3 - First aid station.  Running 8:35/mile and feeling OK.  Now better trail and a long gradual uphill.

Mile 6 - Second aid station.  Drink up.  Its getting warm.  Decline the cake.  Not tempted to rest on the sofa.  Big Blerch guy is running after me, telling me to slow down, take a break, don't work so hard.  He is actually a little annoying, but its OK.  Marilou sighting.  She is running the full and started earlier.  I finished passing the slower halfers who started ahead of me, now I am passing some marathoners.  A couple of guys pass me too.

Mile 6.55 - Turn around.  Now face the mega crowds.

Mile 7 - Aid station.  I do take some cake.  And water.  It is OK in she shade but it is warming up.

Mile 10 - Last couple of miles were very nice.  Gentle downhill, I picked up the pace a little.  Warmer.  Last aid station.  Wish I had brought an s!cap.  Hot in a patch of sun.  Mass of 10K walkers to get around now.  Just when I was done facing the halfers coming toward me, now I really have to dodge around a lot of people. 

Mile 11 - Terra Perkins sighting off and on. In a bee costume.  She is way faster than me today but is also having fun and some wardrobe malfunction let me catch up to her for a bit.  Meanwhile my legs are stiffening up.  Other than the legs, I feel OK, but they are slowing me down.

Mile 12 - On to the bad gravel.  Almost want to walk.  Looks like the GPS is reading a little short, so with a sustained effort I can still get that 8:30 pace and a negative split, but it wont be easy.

Mile 12.5 - Terra catches me again, after veering off to jump in the river.  Her shoes are squishy but she is running strong.  Here is where I should pick it up and finish strong.  But I just maintain.  Legs are tired and I am dehydrated.  Save myself for the coming weeks.  Cruise in to a decent finish.

Finish mile 13.1 - 13.06 on the GPS.  Watch says that I ran 8:35/mile out and 8:25 back, but it was not easy and it seemed slower on the way back.  Glad to be done.  

So many new runners here, my overall place sure looks great.  Find Jared and we feast on nutella and other treats while we wait for Jody and Nickie.  The finish and we take our time enjoying the post race festivities.  Nice event, that I don't need to do again.  Wish they had another water station or two.  Clock in the photo must be timed for the 10K.





1:51:20
77th of 825
Race#362
****

No comments: