Saturday, July 19, 2008

7/19/08 Lakefair 8K

This week got off to a horrible start. I was hobbling a bit after the Bear Run. Seems like most times I put together a couple of sub 7 miles I get some plantar faciitis discomfort. I lost two good years of running to that problem but with my custom orthodics I have been running injury free for five years now. When it does flare up a bit I just need to ease up on the fast stuff and it goes away in a day or two. I decided to take off Sunday and Monday and not do my Tuesday speed session. Enjoyed a nice birthday on Monday but everyone seems to think I am too skinny. I ate cake, but not just cake, there was cheese cake, cupcakes and ice cream cake. Then the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies came, I ate way too much. Things got real bad Tuesday morning. Beautiful sunny 6:30AM wake up and run. About a tenth of a mile into it, just starting to loosen up, I must have lassoed my right foot with the loop of my left shoelace. I was on the ground, skidding on the asphalt in no time at all. On my feet quickly and look around to make sure nobody saw me. Examine my injuries. Some blood from six different scrapes, three nasty ones on my right knee and a nice road rash on my right shoulder were the worst ones. I knew for sure that I would stiffen up and not be good for much running unless I kept moving now. A few tentative steps to make sure there was no serious harm, then on with my 6 miler. Bright red blood dripping from my knee. During the next two days I wondered if I would need to see a doctor about my shoulder which really hurt, but is improving now. So thankful that there was no injury to my knee. Ran easy on Wednesday and Thursday and took of Friday. Lowest mileage week in a long time. On to Lakefair:
Jared and I made the trip into town, he would run the 3K race. Although we were preregistered and they knew that I should be bib#198, they could not find my bib. Nice race helpers got me a new number and I was set to go after a mile warm up and a few strides. Perfect weather. Shoes are triple laced.
Start - I position myself a little farther back than usual. Really want a slower first mile, so I can finish strong. Lots of runners and a crowded jostling start
Mile 1 - Steve and Judy are just in front of me. I did manage to slow myself out of the gate and am running smoothly. I make my move to pass them but stay in control. Three choices of running surface here: paved road, dirt walkway and concrete sidewalk. The road has cut outs for parking and takes the wide edge of the curve around the lake. I alternate surface based on shortest route and position of other runners.
Mile 3 - GPS is off from markers same as last year. Now I remember last year thinking the markers were off and really I was going faster than I thought. Hoping for the same thing this year as I am at about 7/mile. At least every time I look at my watch my pace is holding steady. Every once in a while I put on a small surge to pass someone, but at some points I feel leg tired and think that I will not be able to hold the pace.
Mile 4 - Erik Lindburg has been so slowly coming back to me. Now he is in striking distance and I dig in hard to put him behind me. I hope I have something left for the finish.
Mile 4.8 to finish - Time looks great. Turn the corner. Tammy is screaming. Into the chute. 31 seconds faster than last year and a new PR!! Now I know that the key to success is to run less and eat more cake and cookies. Home to finish them off.
34:08 Personal Record
59th of 366 runners race #142 9th 8K 8th Lakefair race (8K or 10K)
*****

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We will make sure you have endless supply of cakes, cookies and ice cream on Monday after races. You just have to share (and show up)!