Monday, July 4, 2005

7/4/05 Steilacoom 4 miler

My 5th Four on the 4th. Getting to be a tradition. First time with this GPS watch. I want to run 7 minute miles, so I set the "virtual buddy" to do just that. If I go out too fast, I will know how far ahead of him I am, too slow and I will know his lead. Goal is to run with him, but with the huge hill that does not seem likely. Warm and sunny
Start - Nice to see Wayne and Seth. Also that kid, James Jasperson. He is 9 years old, but pretty evenly matched to me.
Mile 1 - Awful fast on the downhill, far ahead of buddy.
Mile 2.2 - James is passing me. I put up a small surge and get ahead of him again.
Mile 3 - Buddy is catching up. It is warm and I am feeling discouraged. Really tough to hold the pace and I know that the big uphill looms.
Mile 3.5 - Really working hard, this is going to be close.
Mile 4 - Crest the hill and sprint through the shoot. Hannah Herzog is screaming her head off for me. I made it!! No PR, but so glad to dip under 28 minutes. Billy finished 7 minutes behind me. Wayne beat me solidly, most improved runner by far, he took 5 minutes off last year's time.
27:46
62 of 235
****

No comments: